By Nick Giongco
The Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) is acknowledging the magnitude of a court ruling that is ordering it to hold an election for the position of president and chairman on Feb. 23, after all.
Opting not to turn a blind eye on the Pasig court’s decision ruling that the elections held in November 2016 as null and void, POC president Jose ‘Peping’ Cojuangco yesterday revealed that his battery of lawyers will seek legal remedies via the Court of Appeals.
“I was told by my lawyers that’ this is the best approach,” said Cojuangco, who earned his fourth four-year term when boxing chief Ricky Vargas was ruled ineligible.
Cojuangco, 83, is hoping that this latest move would prevent the holding of such an election.
Aside from boxing, Vargas also enjoys the full backing of mainly mainstream sports such as basketball, football, taekwondo, golf, cycling, badminton, triathlon and rugby.
The Pasig court ruling was issued late last year.
Meanwhile, Cojuangco added that the POC has already contacted the International Olympic Committee (IOC) about the current situation in the country.
“We’ve also written the IOC about what’s happening right now,” said Cojuangco.
Cojuangco had warned that the IOC could crack the whip on the Philippines for supposed “government intervention.”