by Nick Giongco
The first all-Filipino world title fight in almost a century takes place on April 14 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum said on Monday morning.
Jerwin Ancajas will make the fourth defense of the International Boxing Federation (IBF) super-flyweight crown against mandatory challenger Jonas Sultan of the ALA Boxing Club of Cebu.
Arum is giddy with excitement over Ancajas, who is fresh from a resounding tenth-round knockout of Israel Gonzalez of Mexico last month in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Arum has also relayed the news to Ancajas’ US agent Sean Gibbons, who is planing in today.
“We are going to be ready,” said Ancajas’s chief handler Joven Jimenez when told about the news from their training camp in Magallanes, Cavite.
The last time two Filipinos battled in a world title fight was when Pancho Villa met Clever Sencio 93 years ago.