by Ernest Hernandez
Cage Gladiators rocked Quezon City with their second fight card in less than three months with Jovincent “Good Boy” So prevailing over Franz “The Romance” Galvez via split decision after three rounds in the main event.
“Being the winner of this event is a very huge opportunity for me,” said So. “Cage Gladiators and Hitman MMA treat the fighters well.”
“I attempted a submission and did not give him any time to recover. You got to give it to Franz (Galvez),” said the fighter from Tough Guys International. “I tried to finish him with a submission. But he is a tougher wrestler,” he added.
In the co-main event, Johnny Merto scored a victory over Benjie Tabaranza with a surprise guillotine choke in the second round.
Overall, the second installment of the organization has been on target, not just with the quality of fights, but with its overall objectives. The fight card also featured two stoppages while two debutants won their first MMA battles.
“I’m so happy. All of the fans enjoyed the fight, and all of the fighters will get compensated and that’s what we want,” said One Championship fighter and Cage Fighters co-founder Burn Soriano.
“We are gonna go every month. We are going to do it. I want everyone to be happy, from the fighters to the crowd to everyone involved,” the “Hitman” boldly said.
Soriano along with co-founder Anthony Canavan, an ex-Irish Ranger and fighter wanted the event to not just give exposure to MMA talents but also to give underprivileged and disadvantaged fighters the much-needed support.
This support includes – financial assistance and support, assistance with gyms, trainers, equipment, supplements, accommodation and lodging subsidies.
“Local MMA, we have been here since 2007. We are here for the fighters and that is the truth. We do these events for the fighters,” said Soriano.
- Marco Antonio def. Michael Gonzales via split decision
- Danilo Bathan (1 Revolt Fight Camp) def. Daffy Dempo via second-round submission (Guillotine Choke)
- Robelyn Rebollos def. Gabriel Masancay via unanimous decision
- Warren Torion def. Kent Velasco via first-round submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
- Baki John Bernardo def. Sergio “Chinese Mafia” Perez, Jr. via first-round submission (Americana Lock)
- Marlon Caingat def. Jayson Sosmena via unanimous decision
- Bing Bong Mayormita def. Efren Puerto via unanimous decision
- Kelvin “The Good Beast” Gesta def. Danilo Sarmiento via first-round TKO (Punches)
- Johnny Merto def. Benjie Tabaranza via second-round submission (Guillotine choke)
- Joevincent So def. Franz Galvez via split decision