By NICK GIONGCO
Just how big the Philippine delegation to the 30th Southeast Asian Games will look like will only be known this Friday, the deadline for submission of entry-by-number forms of the 11 participating countries.
Deputy chief of mission Charlie Ho told the Bulletin that while 56 sports have been approved and 523 events identified, it would only be until the March 15 deadline that the final number will be made official.
“That could still change because some events could still be scrapped if there are not enough entries,” said Ho, noting that under SEAG rules, an event can only be approved if there are at least four countries taking part.
Last November, the SEAG Federation Council approved the staging of 56 sports and 523 events.
The Philippines’ hosting will have the New Clark City in Capas, Tarlac, and Metro Manila as main host cities with key cities in Central and Southern Luzon also tabbed as support host cities.
The Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) last week expressed its concern over the apparent lack of buzz in the promotion of the biennial sportsfest.
A SEAG Task Force is expected to be formed this week to help in the logistics of hosting.
CDM Monsour del Rosario is banking on Ho and Stephen Fernandez, his deputies, to join hands while he is busy attending to politics.
Del Rosario is bidding for the vice-mayoralty of Makati in the May elections and has informed a key PSC and Philippine Olympic Committee meeting last Friday that he can’t attend to his CDM duties just yet.
A message to Del Rosario asking for comment has been left unanswered. #SEAGames2019
Tags: #SEAGames2019, 2019 SEA Games, Monsour del Rosario, Philippine Olympic Committee, Philippine Sports Commission, Philippine Sports Commission (PSC), POC, PSC, SEA Games, SEAG, Southeast Asian Games, Stephen Fernandez